Carla works as a waitress at Cheers. She is also a mother of eight kids. Carla is known for being sarcastic and confrontational to the other characters on the show, often poking fun at them and their problems. She is especially cruel to Cliff Clavin. She is one of few characters who has children. Carla never celebrates Easter (neither does Kelly, Woody, Cliff, Norm, Vera, Rebecca, Frasier, Lillith) .She also doesn't celebrate 4th of July.
Carla is perhaps best known for her abrasive personality. Her personality was most frequently revealed in the form of scathing one-liners in which she was seldom part of the original conversation.
This character trait came to the forefront of the show's plot in episode 3 of season 1 (The Tortelli Tort), in which Carla attacks an obnoxious Yankees fan who comes into the bar merely to taunt the predominantly Red Sox partisan clientele after a Yankees victory over the Sox.
Carla's biting personality most often comes into play as a result of her disdain for waitress Diane Chambers, the love interest of Sam Malone for much of the the series' first five seasons. Not far behind in drawing Carla's ire is Cheers regular Cliff Clavin. Diane and Cliff are frequently the targets of Carla's ill-tempered remarks.
Cliff: I'm ashamed God made me a man.
Carla: I don't think God's doin' a lot of braggin' about it either.
Norman's Conquest, Season 2, Episode 20
- She's been married twice and is a mother to 8 children
- She attends Mass every Sunday.
- It is implied that her life has been hard and rough from an early age, seeing as she attended St. Clete's School for Wayward Girls.
- Her outfits are usually comprised of printed shirts, pants, jeans, skirts, and costume jewelry earrings.
- She's a huge sports fan and enthusiastically reacts to a team winning or losing.